Using Propane During Severe Winter Weather
Make sure your home is safe and warm
As the calendar turns from November to December, we know that winter (even in North Carolina!) is fast approaching.
Whether it’s bitter cold, snowstorms or ice storms, severe winter weather can pose some serious threats here in North Carolina.
Winter Storm Propane Safety
Make sure you’re ready for Old Man Winter by following these tips for propane safety and your home.
- Watch your propane tank gauge. If severe winter weather is in the forecast and you’re low on propane, contact LG Jordan right away for a propane delivery. Don’t let your tank get less than 25 percent full before getting in touch with us. By the way, now is a good time to sign up for Automatic Delivery!
- Practice carbon monoxide safety. Check all the carbon monoxide detectors in your home. You should have at least one in every level of your home and one outside all bedrooms. Test all of them, and replace the batteries. If they’re more than five years old, replace them. We strongly recommend installing propane leak detectors to protect against odor loss in the unlikely event of a propane leak.
- Have your generator ready. Make sure your propane whole house generator has enough propane to last at least a week if there’s a power outage. Run it for about 20 minutes once a month so moving parts stay lubricated.
- Use propane appliances properly. If you use a portable generator, NEVER use it indoors or in an enclosed area like a sunporch, garage or carport. Also, never use propane grills or any outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed spaces. Do not use propane stoves for indoor heating.
- Be ready when severe weather hits. Make sure your vents, chimneys and flue are cleared of snow and debris to prevent carbon monoxide buildup. Also clear snow off your propane tank and away from tank regulators, vents, piping, tubes and valves, using a broom instead of a shovel to protect your tank and its parts from damage.
Count on LG Jordan for safe and dependable delivery of your propane so you’ll get through the winter in warmth and comfort. Become a customer and enjoy these benefits and more, today!